Saturday, March 8, 2008

Alms

I looked up the dictionary definition of 'alms' today. It was quite interesting to note that the word's etymology links back to the Greek word, 'eleos' meaning pity and related to 'eleemon', meaning merciful. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines alms as: 1. archaic : charity, and 2. something (as money or food) given freely to relieve the poor. www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary

Several religious traditions either advocate or require almsgiving as an obligation of belonging to that tradition. Wikipedia has a good discussion.
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alms
As a Christian, I've been told about tithing, giving to the church and so forth, and I've read and heard about the plight of the poor both here and globally for all of my life. Yet, in recent weeks the sufferings of those who are poor, or disabled, or sick and in want, have been on my mind so much more. I think it has to do with something changing inside me. In the past, part of my response to "the poor" or "the least of these" has had to do with feeling guilty for not being among them and for not doing enough for them. In my thinking and feeling now, it isn't about guilt as much as it's related to 'mercy' - that quality of desiring to alleviate suffering itself. My gut twists, thinking about how it would feel (or has felt) to be homeless, hungry, ill, or abandoned. I don't want to alleviate suffering so my gut won't twist, but because it is suffering.

Perhaps this all has something to do with my main prayer these days, often called the Jesus Prayer. "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." So much of the time I end up focusing on that word 'mercy.'

Jesus clearly had a great love for those who were poor and outcast. Responding to their needs and suffering filled his life of teaching, healing and prayer. As the risen Christ has sent the Spirit of love and mercy to all creation, my prayer is that I may be given grace, strength and wisdom to follow in the steps of Jesus. I am looking at where and how I can increase direct giving, whether I can shift my therapy practice to accommodate more people of less means, and how I can better work for social justice, as injustice vastly increases human suffering.

And, may all who are able, also be aware of where they can make some small inroads in the suffering of the world.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there

Please check out www.myspace.com/almselectronica

Warm Regards
Glyn