Sunday, November 22, 2009

Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 6




Article 6.

    * Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Recently, a friend sent me a much-forwarded email titled, "I am a person." It was a pictorial account of the struggle for women to get the vote and to be accounted as a person in our own right before the law.

I am grateful to all the women who worked, struggled, demonstrated, suffered imprisonment or beatings and yet stood firm until our rights as persons were recognized.  I am grateful that I can vote. I am grateful that I can run for political office, own property, manage my own money, and determine for myself whether I will seek employment, start my own business, or take early retirement. 

My hope is that everyone everywhere will be able to exercise these rights.

No comments: